-Michelle Woolfolk (@mitch_madrigal)
For the last 21 months, my life has been wrapped around raising a child, nurturing my marriage, inspiring women and going after my dreams.
As moms, we try to balance our home and work life, all while trying to reach our own personal goals. But every day, we prioritize our family’s needs and drop everything for our family and kids. That leaves us little time to care for ourselves. And if you’re a single mom, you’re probably left with even less time for yourself. Sound familiar?
So, Why Is It So Vital To Schedule “Me Time”?
I truly believe that taking a break will help us re-energize and feel good about ourselves. If we don’t, we are eventually going to burn ourselves out. Trust me, mamas.
When my daughter was first born, we had a dramatic shift in our lives, and it was very hard for me emotionally and physically. I had challenging postpartum depression that was crippling me. Now that I am out of that space, and can look back, I realize taking care of myself helps me take care of my daughter.
Our family deserves and needs us to always be at our best. So, for them, and for our well-being, we NEED “me time.”
I know that a lot of moms will say that they don’t get alone time because they feel guilty for leaving their kids and doing something for themselves.
But I am here to tell you – YOU MATTER, YOU ARE IMPORTANT, YOU SHOULD COME FIRST every now and then.
And if you’re already doubting it, know that you are doing this so that you can be a better mom to your children.
Simple Mommy “Me Time” Ideas
- Mommy alone time is such a great opportunity for us to rejuvenate our minds and bodies. Here are some of the things that truly make me happy from the inside out:
- Bubble Baths – Who doesn’t love bubble baths with soft music, candles and a glass of wine? I obviously do this after I put my daughter to bed. I use this time to read, reflect or just scroll through Instagram (it is your alone time), so no judgement
- Gym Time– This is something I look forward to every single day! I am an advocate of living a healthy Training makes me feel empowered and strong. Releasing endorphins always give me that oomph feeling (SUPER MAMA) to tackle the rest of the day! You can definitely pick any form of exercise that is sustainable and enjoyable for YOU.
- Laser Hair Removal – Ladies… we all know that shaving or going to a waxing salon can take so much of our time, am I right? I mean who has time to shave when you can’t even have the bathroom all to yourself without a toddler screaming and looking for Also, I am hairy as a wolf so getting a hair laser removal was an absolute game changer! Not only does it lessen time in the shower, but it saves you money in the long run from waxing and having someone to watch your kids while doing so. I love going to Ideal Image to get my treatments. They are affordable and super professional! So, mamas, what are you waiting for?
- Massage – I love getting massages at least once a month to help loosen tight muscles, release knots and for A 1-hour session is all you need. Relax and take a nap!
- Hike – I am such a nature I love being outdoors while enjoying the beauty of Mother Nature. This gives me the time to quiet my mind and anxieties, but also helps reduce stress and gives me a better blood flow.
These are MY top 5 things to do for myself. Obviously, there’s a plethora of things you can do for yourself. Please know that taking your time back is not selfish!
Remember, it’s hard being a mom 24/7, all year long, for years and years.
Yes, it really is the best job in the world with lots of benefits, but in all honesty, it’s a tough job. And it is for this reason that we must take care of ourselves first before we can care for those, we love the most.
Please make it one of the things you start doing this year. Be kind to yourself, stay healthy and happy!