Wrinkle Relaxer (Botox®) Pre & Post Treatment Instructions
Wrinkle Relaxer (Botox®)
- If you have a special event or vacation coming up, please keep in mind that you may want to schedule your treatment at least 2 weeks in advance.
- It is recommended to discontinue the use of Aspirin, Motrin, Gingko Biloba, Garlic, Flax Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, or any other essential fatty acids at least 3 days to 1 week before and after treatment to minimize bruising or bleeding. Please consult with your primary physician prior to discontinuing any medications.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, Niacin supplement, high-sodium foods, high sugar foods, refined carbohydrates, spicy foods, and cigarettes 24-48 hours before and after your treatment. (All of these factors may increase risk of bruising and swelling).
- If you develop a cold / flu, cold sore, blemish, or rash, etc. in the area to be treated prior to your appointment, we recommend that you please reschedule your appointment until it resolves.
- It is recommended to discontinue Retin-A two (2-3) days before treatment to avoid any increased redness and irritation.
- It is recommended that you wait at least 2 weeks to have botulinum toxin treatments performed if you have previously had cosmetic treatments with laser, ultrasound, peels, facials or micro-dermabrasion.
Wrinkle Relaxer (Botox®)
- Refrain from straining, heavy lifting, vigorous exercise for at least 4 hours following treatment. It takes the toxin approximately 2 hours to bind itself to the nerve terminal to start to take effect. Increasing circulation may
inadvertently move the botulinum toxin from where it was injected.
- Do NOT lie head down flat, touch, or rub the treated areas for at least 4 hours.
- Avoid Aspirin, Motrin, Gingko Biloba, Garlic, Flax Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, or any other essential fatty acids at least 3 days to 1 week after treatment. These items may increase bleeding and bruising.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, Niacin supplement, high-sodium foods, high sugar foods, refined carbohydrates, spicy foods, and cigarettes 24-48 hours after your treatment. These items may contribute to increased swelling or irritation.
- Avoid the use of Retin-A or similar products (ex. Kinerase, Tazarac) 2 days after treatment to avoid increased irritation or redness.
- Avoid cosmetic treatments such as laser, ultrasound, peels, facials or micro-dermabrasion for 2 weeks after treatment with Dysport® or Botox®.
- Try to avoid wearing makeup until the day after treatment. Earlier use may cause pustules. If you must wear makeup we recommend a good quality mineral makeup for the face.
- Please report to your provider if any increased pain, increased swelling, redness, blisters, or itching immediately, should it occur following your treatment.
- Avoid wearing hats or headbands after treatment.
- The treatment may take 2-10 days to take full effect. It is recommended that the touchup, if needed, be done no later than 2 weeks after the initial treatment