Jessica Vaught, MSN, APRN, A-GNP-C
It’s time to break out those shorts, skirts and dresses. Outdoor season is upon us, but are strawberry legs preventing you from feeling confident in shorter hemlines? Numerous people are faced with this common condition, yet the term “strawberry legs” is unfamiliar to many. In fact, it’s a highly Googled topic. In this article, we’ll answer the questions we get asked most, including:
- What are strawberry legs?
- What do strawberry legs look like?
- What can cause strawberry legs?
- How to prevent the appearance of strawberry legs?
- How do you treat strawberry legs?
What are these black dots on my skin?
Strawberry legs have the appearance of small black dots resembling the seeds of a strawberry, hence the name. The appearance is caused by hair follicles or enlarged pores that contain a trapped mixture of oil, bacteria and dead skin. When the follicle or pore is exposed after shaving, air reaches the oil inside, oxidizes and turns dark, creating this seed-like resemblance. Although it is known as strawberry legs, this phenomenon can occur anywhere on the body where there is a hair follicle, not just the legs.
What causes strawberry legs?
These are the most common triggers for strawberry legs:
- Shaving – Using old, dull razors or shaving without shaving cream can lead to razor burn and ingrown hairs. The skin around the follicle may darken due to the irritation caused by shaving.
- Clogged pores – Also known as open comedones or blackheads, blocked pores can lead to the appearance of strawberry legs.
- Folliculitis – If the hair follicle is inflamed or infected from shaving, waxing or other hair removal options, it can lead to the strawberry legs appearance.
- Keratosis pilaris – A condition that causes rough patches and small, acne-like bumps on skin when there is production of too much keratin. This can block hair follicles and cause bumps leading to the appearance of strawberry legs.
How can I prevent strawberry legs?
The best treatment for strawberry legs is to avoid the condition in the first place, that’s why we recommend the following preventative actions:
- Shave properly with a high-quality razor.
- Use a moisturizing shaving lotion or cream.
- Shave in the direction of hair growth, not against the grain.
- Exfoliate your skin a day or two before shaving.
- Use over-the-counter salicylic acid or glycolic acid to help reduce acne.
- Soak your skin in warm water or use gentle steam to open pores.
- Apply moisturizer after your skin is patted dry.
How can I get rid of strawberry legs?
If you think you have this condition, don’t worry there are options to treat it! Strawberry legs are not itchy or painful; please see your medical provider for treatment if your legs are red, warm, itchy, scabbing, or painful as you may have a more serious condition. The best way to treat strawberry legs is to remove hair by the root and to destroy the follicle. Strawberry legs treatment options include waxing, depilatory creams, electrolysis, and Laser Hair Removal. Waxing and depilatory creams can be poorly tolerated by the skin and cause irritation. They are only temporary solutions that must be repeated often. For a more permanent solution, look to Laser Hair Removal.
Laser Hair Removal for legs is the ideal treatment for strawberry legs (or anywhere else on the body, of course). The laser is attracted to the dark pigment in the hair and ultimately destroys the hair follicle. This prevents hair re-growth and leaves the legs feeling silky smooth. Since the follicles are destroyed, they are less likely to become trapped with oil, bacteria or dead skin; therefore, eliminating the appearance of black dots. Laser Hair Removal is a safe and effective FDA-approved method of hair removal. Unlike electrolysis, which only treats one hair at a time, Laser Hair Removal treats multiple hairs with each laser pulse.
A complete Laser Hair Removal leg session can be done in just one hour or less with no downtime. It is as easy as spending your lunch break for treatment and then immediately resuming your normal daily activity. Our Laser Hair Removal skincare bundle will also help keep your skin and pores healthy, protected and well moisturized, which will further help reduce clogged pores and the appearance of strawberry legs.
Don’t you think it’s time to say goodbye to your razor and hello to laser? Our Aesthetic Consultants are available 24/7 to answer any questions you may have regarding this process and to put together a plan personalized to your unique needs. Schedule your free consultation today.
Don’t forget to ask about our Lifetime Guarantee Membership, it’ll give you the best prices on Laser Hair Removal and all our other treatment offerings, one free treatment a year, and additional exclusive perks and benefits. So, get those shorts, skirts and dresses out of your closet and enjoy the season without worrying about those strawberry legs!